Did you have a big party planned during this isolation period? A birthday? A family celebration?
Please still recognise the day! It certainly won’t be as you imagined but you could still make some fun memories.
It’s our 7th birthday next week, so here’s 7 ways to celebrate special occasions while stuck at home…
1. Create a virtual party with your nearest and dearest. Zoom video conferencing is WONDERFUL for large groups. You could still send out invites in the post to make it feel special. Set the date and time, include a BYOB reminder and have a few drinks and catch up with your pals.
2. Why not organise a dinner date on video with your loved ones. Everyone prepare a fancy meal at home and light a candle for a bit of atmosphere. Plan to eat and meet at a certain time and have dinner together on WhatsApp or Facetime.
3. And if you wanna play some party games, do it virtually. Headsup (charades style app), download a pub quiz, or play 2 truths and a lie. Read my lips (microphone off and guess what they say) is a goodie! Or a drawing challenge (describe something for people to draw and they have to guess what it is), and you can’t go wrong with a few rounds of Would You Rather.
4. If there’s a birthday in your household, decorate with the things you have around your home. You could make this a fun activity if you’ve got kids. Paper chains out of magazines, hand painted signs or why not dig those fairy lights out from your Christmas decor box. You could even have a clothes sort out and turn any old tshirts into bunting flags with scissors and a stapler!
5. Treat the birthday girl/boy and organise all your meals to be fun and a little less normal. Breakfast eggs fried in metal cookie cutter shapes, chocolate spread painted words on toast. Lunch could be sandwiches cut into heart shapes. Dinners could be arranged into a face with a fruit platter rainbow for dessert. Be creative and make your meals that little bit different.
6. Download free printables to create a few personalised touches around the home. Some of our favourite printables out there…
- Cupcake toppers by Cute Crafting – http://www.cutecrafting.com/birthday-printables/
- Place names for the dinner table from Pretty Providence https://prettyprovidence.com/versatile-printable-food-labels/
- Party donut themed posters by A Simple Life and Everything Nice https://asimplelifeandeverythingnice.com/free-donut-grow-up-and-donut-party-printables/
- Not forgetting our free customisable bunting on our blog https://idohandmade.co.uk/2020/03/23/free-bunting-for-all/
7. Finally host a ‘make it’ competition on video chat. Watermelon carving, flower arranging, lego robot building, baby grow decorating, T-shirt embroidering, cake decorating, canvas painting. Everyone make it together while on video chat, then present your creations and vote for the best one!
Hopefully an idea or two to help you make the most of a pooey situation.
Hang in there friends x